Sunday, March 5, 2017

Week 2

Although most patient analysis is based on quantitative data, there is still an element of subjectivity in the medical field simply because there are humans involved. I've continued observing patients from various backgrounds; different ages, genders, ethnicities, education levels, beliefs, etc. Some patients come into the clinic with research articles and questions, eager to learn more about their condition. Others are just determined to get back to work. Perhaps the most problematic aspect of this is the fact that everyone has their own opinion. In some cases, patients are doubtful of their physician. While they may be severely misinformed, they still have the right to refuse treatment. This is an issue that I became interested in since I first began learning about domestic violence and TBI. As I've mentioned before, a significant portion of the domestic violence population does not return for a follow-up evaluation or outpatient therapy after the first visit and I want to know why. Why would someone refuse to take their medications or see their speech therapist? Is this the result of trauma or a preexisting problem?

I've also been working with the program coordinator who frequently handles domestic violence cases. For my first task, I've been researching the effects of drugs on the adolescent brain. This information will be presented to teens in juvenile detention to help them understand the consequences of their actions (and maybe scare them just a tiny bit). The second task is to compile information for an educational pamphlet on different brain injuries (TBI, stroke, aneurysm, etc.) and translate it into Spanish. These handouts will be written at a 3rd grade reading level in both Spanish and English to help educate the local population about these conditions. By making this information easily accessible to everyone, regardless of ethnicity or education level, people can learn how to recognize the symptoms of brain injury and prevent further damage. Neither of these tasks are directly related to my own research, but this kind of teaching could also be applied to the domestic violence population. Throughout my research, I will have to consider the different opinions and histories of each patient, especially since my data relies on self-reported numbers. Additionally, I would like to analyze how other factors (i.e. age or ethnicity) might affect the rate of progress in domestic violence victims. I hope to officially start with data collection in the coming week. 

1 comment:

  1. It is great that you are to play a large role in educating individuals about TBI.

    ReplyDelete